Back to the issue
Modern diagnostics of face and neck skin neoplasma
Odesa National Medical University
The problem of modern diagnosis of neoplasms of the human skin is relevant
in connection with the growing number of patients with tumorous formations
of the skin of the human body.
The aim of the study was to evaluate the results of the diagnosis of
tumor lesions of the face and neck skin on the basis of the analysis of
clinical semiotics, dermatoscopy (microscopy) and morphological research.
Material and Methods: The study included 50 patients with neoplasms
of the external nose and ear skin.
There were 30 women and 20 men, aged from 40 to 80 years.The patients were
divided into two groups, depending on the location of the neoplasm. The 1st
group included 25 patients with tumors of the outer skin of the nose and 2nd
group – 25 patients with skin tumors of the outer ear.
All neoplasms in the process of vital activity were subjected to physical
irritations of various degrees that may develop the malignant process of the
The results and discussion: The evaluation of diagnostic results was
carried out on the basis of the use of complex diagnostics, with the help of
which a malignant skin process was detected in 50 patients. A basal cell
carcinoma of the ear was revealed in 23 (46 %) patients, squamous cell
carcinoma in 24 (48%) patients, low grade nasal cancer in 3 (6 %) patients.
Complex diagnostics allowed to determine the morphological structure and
tissue affiliation in 100% of patients. Іt contributed to the correct choice
of the method of treatment.
Conclusions: The results of the study suggest that a comprehensive
detection technique makes it possible to fulfill a final diagnosis of the
skin disease and to plan treatment adequately.To diagnose timely and reduce
the number of malignant skin formations it is necessary to train the
population to self-diagnose and to conduct preventive measures for reducing
excessive ultraviolet, various chemical and mechanical effects on healthy
the malignant tumors of face and neck skin, efficiency of complex
- Anishchenko IS, Vazhenin AB. [Squamous cell carcinoma of the skin:
clinic, diagnosis, treatment]. Chelyabinsk, 2000; 92 p. [Article in
- Evchev F.D., Evcheva AF. [Etiology, pathogenesis, clinical semiotics
and diagnosis of neoplasms of the scalp, neck and trunk. Message 1].
Zhurnal ushnyh, nosovyh i gorlovyh boleznej. 2018; (1): 76-82. [Article
- Cancer in Ukraine, 2015-2016. [Morbidity, mortality, oncology
service performance indicators. Bulletin of the National Cancer Registry
of Ukraine]. 2017; (18). [Article in Ukrainian].
- Lamotkin IA. Tumors and tumor-like skin lesions. Atlas. Moscow:
Laboratory of Knowledge, 2016; 166 p. [In Russian].
- Lipatov OH, Menshikov KV, Atnabaev RD. A clinical case of surgical
treatment of squamous cell carcinoma of the skin against a background of
hypertrophic scar. [Electronic resource] Creative surgery and oncology.
2012; January 28. Available from: http://eoncosurg.com/?p=1545. [Article
- [Unified clinical protocol of primary, secondary (specialized) and
tertiary (highly specialized) medical care. Basal cell skin cancer].
Order of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine dated March 28, 2016, No.
246. [Electronic resource]. Available from:
[Article in Ukrainian].
- Gantsev ShKh, Yusupov AS. [Squamous cell carcinoma of the skin].
Practical Oncology. 2012; 13(2): 80-91. [Article in Russian].
- Snarskaya EU, Molochkov VA. Basalioma. Moscow: Medicine; 2003.136 p.
- Myadelets OD, Adaskevich VP. Morphofunctional dermatology. Moscow:
Medical literature; 2006. 734 p. [In Russian].
- Chagas FS, Santana Silva Bd. Mohs micrographic surgery: a study of
83 cases. An Bras Dermatol.
2012 Mar-Apr; 87(2): 228-34. doi:
- Schaart FM, Garbe C, Orfanos CE. [Disappearance
of the ozone layer and skin cancer: attempt at risk
assessment]. Hautarzt. 1993; 44(2): 63-8. [Article
- Vitaliano PP, Urbach F. The relative importance of
risk factors in nonmelanoma carcinoma. Arch
1980; 116(4): 454-6.